You may need to request a medical report on an employee, perhaps to:
- follow your capability procedure;
- ascertain why their ability to perform job duties has deteriorated;
- find out whether there is a medical reason for regular short-term absences;
- identify an employee's prognosis and likely duration of absence;
- determine whether an employee has a disability in accordance the Equality Act and meet your duty to consider any reasonable adjustments;
- manage health and safety at work.
You must comply with the Access to Medical Reports Act 1988 and the four template documents available here will enable you to do this, they are also compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR):
- Letter to Employee Asking for Authorisation to Request a Medical Report from their GP or Specialist (enclosing Consent to Medical Report Form);
- Consent to Medical Report Form with Access to Medical Reports Act 1988 Guidance for the Employee;
- Letter to GP or Specialist Requesting Medical Report and Enclosing Signed Consent to Medical Report Form;
- Letter Notifying Employee of Date that Medical Report Request Has Been Made (so they can arrange to see the Report within 21 days should they wish, in accordance with the Access to Medical Reports Act 1988).
Click on individual documents below for more information.